There are thousands of time management tips and apps all over the place and yet people are struggling with managing their time. Have you ever wondered where the problem is? It could be the time management hacks you’ve been using or could be the way you’ve been executing them. Whatever it is, we need to come up with a better and realistic method to manage our time. Unless it would be difficult to achieve our goals or targets in time.
Before you implement any time management plan, there are two things you need to focus and upgrade.
Aware of your time management skills
It’s requisite to have a better understanding of your capabilities in managing your time. If you have any lousy habits that you are not aware of and make you slow down or procrastinated, this point will be a huge help to find them. If you can’t come up with any such habit, you can ask your peer group or your closed ones.
If no one has noticed such a thing, maybe you don’t have any habits that slow you down and it could be some other reason.
Make a Strategy to improve your identified qualities
This is where you can implement time management skills that you found out earlier. The key point is to implement the relevant skills to enhance or improve your time management skills that you are lagging.
I’m sure that you have already used some of the best time management strategies. But have you ever thought that how those strategies make you more efficient or develop your existing skills? The reason for knowing the effect of those strategies on you is sometimes you are born with skills that make you talented and efficient in a unique way. The reason that makes you make lagging could be something else. When you execute a new set of strategies without any proper self-awareness, you may deliberately sabotage your genuine abilities. This is why it’s essential to do the above activity before implementing any strategy.
These two steps will prepare you to adopt the most effective time management strategies that’ll precisely suit you.
According to the Harvard Business Review, there should be three skills to manage time successfully.
• Awareness: thinking realistically about your time by understanding it is a limited resource.
• Arrangement: designing and organising your goals, plans, schedules, and tasks to effectively use time.
• Adaptation: monitoring your use of time while performing activities, including adjusting to interruptions or changing priorities.
I’m sure you all are well familiar with the second skill which is designing and organizing your goals, plans, schedules, and tasks to effectively use time. We use all kinds of planners, to-do lists to organise and schedule our goals and tasks. However, do we pay much attention to the other two skills? Are we aware of the usage of our time while we engage in any activity? You need to be honest with yourself on this point. While you are focusing on your daily priorities or To-Do list, are we actually conscious about the value of our time?
Therefore, in order to maintain successful time management habits, it’s effective to categorise them into these three skill sets.
How To Develop Awareness Skills
• Find out your best time slot that you are most productive and energetic.
• Record how much time you have spent to complete a particular task rather than counting how many tasks you completed within an hour
• After finishing your task, evaluate how long you thought it would take and how long it actually took as well as what are the best practices you used to finish your task.
How To Develop Arrangement Skills
• Prioritise your work
• Divide your daily goals into smaller potions
How To Develop Adaptation Skills
• Use the habit stacking method to attach your time management skills to your daily habits
• Always work with a contingency plan
Find out more about making a great contingency plan from here
• Identify what makes you slow down and your distractions and reduce them
Here is a demo of how you can implement your time management strategies that accommodate your skills. In This way, you can cultivate more progress and be more productive with effectiveness. Managing time is not rocket science if you know the right tactics and logical way of implementing them. Anyone can say do this and do that. It doesn’t matter how professional or how strong those pieces of advices are unless they do not match with your flow. Therefore, before you waste your time on following just random strategies to manage your time, use these tips.